How to Install Presets in Lightroom 7.3 (April 2018 Release)
Adobe Launches Lightroom 7.3
As many of you are aware, Adobe has released a major new version of Lightroom that includes some significant changes. This includes new Raw and Creative profiles, along with changes to the file format of presets.
Previously, Lightroom used the .lr file format for presets. With the introduction of 7.3, Lightroom now uses the .xmp file format. This file format is the same format used by Adobe Camera Raw. The .xmp file format now makes presets interchangeable between Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw.
How does this impact you?
If you upgrade to 7.3 and already have Lightroom presets installed, Lightroom will automatically upgrade your file format from .lr to .xmp the next time you restart Lightroom. Your presets will remain as .lr files in the develop presets folder, but they will also now be copied as .xmp files in the settings folder.
If you wish to install .lr formatted presets after you upgrade to 7.3, you simply put them into the develop presets folder and when you restart Lightroom, it will upgrade the newly added presets to .xmp files and it will copy their location from the develop presets folder to the settings folder.
Location of the develop presets folder (location of .lr formatted presets):
- Mac Users*: Users>YOUR NAME>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Lightroom> Develop Presets
- Windows Users: C:>Users-[your user name]>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Lightroom>Develop Presets
If you purchase new .xmp presets after upgrading to 7.3, you’ll want to install your presets in the settings folder, as shown below:
- Mac Users*: Users>YOUR NAME>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Camera Raw> Settings
- Windows Users: C:>Users-[your user name]>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Camera Raw>Settings
*On Mac, you may need to press ⌘ + G and paste the above path into the Go To sheet, as the User Library folder may not be visible.
- It’s important to only add .lr template files to the develop presets folder, and only add .xmp files into the settings folder.
- Once your presets are copied to, or installed in, the settings folder, they are compatible with both Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw.
- The Luxe Lens now offers both .lr and .xmp formats with each purchase.
What about Lightroom Brushes?
There is no change to the file formatting or installation location of brushes. Brushes are still installed in the local adjustment presets folder and they are still formatted as .lr files. Remember, Lightroom brushes are only compatible with Lightroom 5, 6, and Classic CC. They are not compatible with CC. In CC, however, all presets can also be used as brushes.
Try Luxe Academy Today!
Whether you’re a beginner that’s just starting out or more intermediate to advanced looking to fine-tune your skills, Luxe Academy’s seasoned instructors will help improve your workflow and elevate the quality and outcome of your photos.